Tuesday, August 25, 2009

The semi-eventful month of August

Well, apparently August sped by faster than I realized, because tomorrow is the 26th which is kinda hard to believe.

What did the month of August look like through my eyes?

Well....

August started with a crazy Portland heat wave. I saw lots of Portlanders doing anything they could to stay cool. I was one of those Portlanders. I'm relieved the temperature has cooled off to a reasonable 80 degrees again.

Of course my August was filled with work.....not too exciting, but true nonetheless.

I hiked on one August weekend some with a good friend. I could fill any weekend with good hikes....

Throughout August I saw a number of good movies. 500 Days of Summer, Away We Go, Julie and Julia and Paper Hearts are all good films. (Well, I would maybe hesitate a little to recommend Away We Go, but it wasn't a bad film).

I ran a race with my mom a few weekends ago. The Pace of Courage run was a benefit for for one of my co-workers who's family is courageously fighting cancer. We had a great time running the 10K and my mom even came in 2nd in her age group!

I got to spend the rest of the weekend with my family. We did some shopping and had dinner with the extended family. On Sunday when my dad hung out with the rest of the men in my extended family at a baseball game, my mom and Grandma and myself went to the Street of Dreams in the Pearl District. The Street of Dreams is a showcase of pretty incredible homes. This year they are showing condos in the Pearl District. We had a fun afternoon checking them out.

August saw me getting a little sick for a couple days. I hate being sick. My co-workers were worried I had swine flu. I got a little worried that maybe I had swine flu. So I checked WebMD (as any rational person would do, right?). I still don't know if I had it or not. Probably not, but it was ironic that just as all the extra news about it came out, I got sick. It's amazing how you can "self-diagnose" thanks to the internet. The jury is still out on if that is a good thing or not.

I got to visit briefly with my Aunt, Uncle and Cousin (2nd Cousin technically I think....but I can't ever keep track of that stuff) as they drove through Portland. I enjoyed getting to see them over lunch a few weeks ago - thanks for stopping guys!

The month wouldn't be complete without a quick trip to Medford. I met my good friend Melissa when I transferred to Grace Christian in the 6th grade. We've been friends since then. I got to spend time with Melis this summer in Hawaii - I cherish the time I get to have with her because she now lives on the East Coast. Well, Melissa's boyfriend proposed to her just after our Hawaii trip (he proposed in Spain!) and she said yes, so he's now actually her fiance. This last weekend there was an engagement party to celebrate. I didn't want to miss this. So in spite of earlier illness in the week, I was determined to get to Medford. Plus, I had yet to meet Melissa's fiance. (He's a very nice guy - perfect for Melis!) It was a lot of fun to see friends and celebrate!

So what's still yet to come this month?

A baseball game with work tomorrow night....events with co-workers are always interesting.

Organizing and cleaning this coming weekend.....it's the time of year where closets need to be gone through and clean everything thoroughly.

Getting ready for Trip #3 to Abilene, TX this year.....I so love Texas and can't wait to be back. Actually, that's a lie. I'm really excited for the wedding I'm going to, and I'm really excited to see good friends, but I'm not very excited to be back in Texas.

PHEW....I think I'm a little more caught up now on recent happenings. I hope your August has been eventful in all the good ways!

1 comment:

Maria said...

Kayla dude, I'm glad to hear your summer was good - It sounds like Hawaii was amazing. I'm jealous of your tropical vacation. We need to catch up soon, my long-lost friend.