Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Brown bagging it

This fall I am a part of a Home Community that is focusing on Service.  We are spending our meeting time every other week doing service projects.  Last night we assembled brown bag lunches for the Union Gospel Mission.  It's amazing how little it takes to do something positive.  We all brought different ingredients: peanut butter, jam, bread, granola bars, fruit, cookies, etc.  It only took a little more than a half hour to make 40 brown bag lunches.

During the assembly of the sandwiches we talked about a number of topic ranging from how our weeks were going to our favorite kinds of granola bars to how many of us are only a matter of a couple paychecks away from a similar situation that many people needing the Union Gospel Mission's help find themselves in.  We all talked about how blessed we were to have a strong support system of friends and family. 

What struck me was the fact that it didn't take very much for us to do something.  I don't know how many people were fed; I hope 40, but I don't know.  I don't know if they liked the food, I don't know who got the bags of food.  What I do know is with only around 45 minutes of our time and small contributions by each of us, we did something.

Tonight I'm grateful for a roof over my head, food in my cupboard (and my belly!) and a great support system of family and friends. 

No comments: