Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Calculus and the Olympics

One of the things I remember from my college Calculus class is discussing the rate of change in equations. I know, I'm a little (some would say very) nerdy, but I thought Calculus was actually pretty interesting and strangely useful. But that is beside the point. I'm starting to see how the rate of change in my life is always changing, but the constant is that there is always change. I've just moved into a new place (I promise I'll get pictures up once the whole place is totally put together), things at work are changing (in good, exciting ways) and I'm continuing to meet new people and experience change in this exciting period of my life. I love Portland, but moving here and settling in has been a major change. My life in the past year has totally changed, and while I really love the changes, it hasn't always been easy. The interesting thing is that my life has gone through, and will continue to, go through varying rates of change. Sometimes things change very quickly. Other times it is a very slow change. However the overlying reality is that the pieces of my life are always changing.

I've been addicted to the Olympics lately, in fact, they've kept me up way too late this past week or so. I don't know what it is about them, but I absolutely love it. I have actually waited to hook up my cable at the new place for the sole reason that I know I wouldn't watch a bit of anything besides the Olympics. I totally admire the dedication and commitment the Olympians have for their sport. Not to mention all of the years of hard work just to get to that point, and so many of these athletes are committed to sports I honestly didn't even realize was a sport. Did you see the trampoline last night? Crazy.

So that's what I've been thinking about and doing lately. Tomorrow night I'm going to go see the movie Housebunny with a friend (she got free tickets and for some reason her husband doesn't want to see it with her). I'll give you my review soon; I don't have high hopes so we'll see.....

No comments: