Saturday, September 12, 2009

Great friends + Beautiful ceremony + Amazing food = Kelly & Ben's Wedding Weekend!

I enjoyed a wonderful weekend in Texas over the Labor Day weekend celebrating my dear friend Kelly's wedding.  I flew into Abilene last Saturday and was blessed with lots of time with dear friends.  I met Kelly my freshman year at Pepperdine and while we were only in Malibu at the same time for a schoolyear, she is one of my dearest friends.  It was great to meet her (now) husband and get reconnected.
Jen, Kelly, me and Katie at the Rehearsal Dinner at Casa Herrera...

Oh the stories I could tell about our adventures that first year at Pepperdine.  
We laughed all weekend reminiscing!


Jen putting a flower in Kelly's hair before the ceremony...
The beautiful ceremony...



Jen and I at the reception...


Lauren* and I at the reception.....
*I got to know Lauren through Kelly when she would come visit Malibu and then later would I was in Abilene visiting.  It was so great to get to see her and catch up with her again.
Jen, Katie and myself...

 I miss these girls.....I'll just keep trying to convince them to come to Oregon (ha! that will be the day!)
Kelly wore a beautiful tea length wedding dress.....
Here is a picture of Ben and Kelly's first dance as husband and wife...
Just a little dancing....
  
Jen, Kelly and me...

 And the newlyweds are off...
After the wedding we headed over to one of the hotels where many family members and wedding guests were staying to visit a little more (really to just keep the party going).  The wedding was seriously fun, amazing food (I kid you not, the BEST wedding food I've ever had - tilapia, mashed potatoes, green beans, delicious bread and salad), and delectable cake.  I judge weddings by the cake.....this one was one of the best!
The next day (Labor Day) I headed back to Dallas with Katie, Ryan (her husband, and Jen.  We went to uptown Dallas for really great Mexican food and then we rode a trolley around the uptown/downtown area.  While I've visited the Metroplex and been through the area several times over the past few years, this was the first time I actually got to see the downtown area.  I have to admit I thought it was a really cool area.  I'm not really a big fan of the Dallas/Fort Worth area, but I did enjoy being downtown.  Maybe I've become more of a city girl than I realized?!?!
Katie and I on the trolley....
Jen, Katie and Ryan on the trolley....
 
The trolley ride was free and we just happened to be walking by it and spontaneously decided to go for a ride.  We had lots of fun!  The trolley is from the early 1900's and is lots of fun to sit back in, relax, and enjoy the ride. 
I flew back to Portland on Tuesday morning (thank you Kate for the early morning ride to DFW!).  It was nice to have the afternoon on Tuesday to get groceries, clean up the house and just be organized for the week after a fun, but tiring, weekend.  
These kinds of weekends are always bittersweet.  It is so wonderful to be together with my friends, but the reality is we all live in different (and quite distant) parts of the country so get-togethers are something special.  When we were at dinner Monday evening, Katie made a comment about how great it would be to all live near eachother so we could have dinner parties and hang out.  It would be so great.  Unfortunately it would be tough to get me to California (really tough if you know me at all) and Texas would be quite the stretch as well.  And sadly (for me) I think it would be nothing short of a miracle to get any of my college friends to relocate to the NW.  So for now we'll have to settle for seeing eachother whenever opportunities are presented. 
I loved getting to see my close friends and celebrating Kelly and Ben's wedding over the 2009 Labor Day weekend! 

1 comment:

Lindsey said...

I just want to know if you and Jen wanted to be in the wedding party so bad that you purposefully wore matching dresses to the bridal party. You were just ready to step-in in case a backup was needed right? :)
Looks like you guys had a blast! Thanks for sharing.