Over the last 9-ish months I've acquired somewhat of an obsession with running. Going for a good run gives me a chance to clear my head, sort out my thoughts, and see my surroundings through a new perspective. Sometimes it is hard to get out the door for a run, but when I do it I always feel better in the end. There is something to be said for pushing through, enduring discomfort at times, to reach a goal.
I'm now addicted to it.
Wow. Addicted to running?
Did I really just say that?
Yep, it is true. I've been in a funk the last couple weeks between being sick and traveling and other unrelated things so my running has been not so consistent. However tonight I really needed to run. Physically, emotionally, psychologically and spiritually.....all of me needed to run.
You see, when I run I am not just training and exercising my body. What I most get from running is the opportunity to spend quality time praying and sorting out my thoughts. Sure, accomplishing a goal by going a specified distance is great, it feels good and I'm always amazed at what the human body can do (and even more so that my body can do it!). However when I'm out running for an hour, I spend most of that time praying. I could write a list a mile long of what I pray about. You should know that if you read this blog because you know me....there's a 99.78435% probability I've prayed for you while running.
Tonight was no exception. There's lots to pray about and sort through.
So I ran.
Even though it was late and the sun had already gone down.
(Don't worry, I had my pepper spray with me!)
And I feel better after having done so.
That's why I'm addicted. I always feel good after (and during) a run. My thoughts are always more organized, and I've had a nice chat with God.
So I will continue to run.
(And I might even add some yoga for variety in the coming weeks!)
No comments:
Post a Comment