I had a nice time enjoying some dinner with two friends this evening and as we talked I realized that I graduated from college three years ago pretty much to the day. Crazy. Now I know to many people three years seems like nothing. But to me, right now, it's amazing to think about how much I've grown and changed in that time-frame.
My life in Portland is good. I have made a lot of friends (which is a real challenge for me, the introvert), have a good job, become plugged into a church and come to a place where I am very much self-sufficient. (Well, with the exception of that AAA membership my parents are kind enough to provide me with.....that was a lifesaver that night on I-5 when my tire blew-out.) I operate independently. My decisions are all my own and I am proud of who I have become. Three years ago I knew I could do all these things. I knew I was well-equipped, however I hadn't experienced life completely on my own.
That first six - nine months after graduation....they were rough. I was discouraged with a fruitless job search and feeling lost. However with the help and encouragement of family, I made it through.
I worked hard to prove myself professionally at the office, accepted any social invitation knowing that was how I was going to make friends and lived by myself for the first time ever in my life.
Now I am blessed with friends and lots of things to do and I really enjoy my life here in Portland.
Three years ago at graduation if you had asked me what my life would look like now, I could've come up with multiple scenarios. I'm happy with the scenario that has played out.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment