Monday, November 17, 2008

A little of this, a little of that

There hasn't been too much to update on, hence the blogging silence. I'll quickly recap what's been going on around me and the thoughts in my head....

I rode the train back from Seattle last Wednesday morning. It was a great feeling to be back on a train. I had flashbacks to train rides across Europe. Some of my favorite memories from my time abroad involve long train rides with deep, or very shallow, conversations with people I will always cherish. I learned a lot about myself and what I want in my life while spending time on trains in Europe. I gained a new independence and freedom on the trains in Europe. While I can't say I learned a lot about myself on the train ride back down from Seattle, it was great to reminisce a bit.

I went in to a walk-in barbershop in the Pearl on Saturday evening because I desperately needed a haircut. I've gone to this place before and ended up with a pretty good cut so I figured what the heck. While I was getting my hair cut I was thinking up this great post about how it is important not to "judge a book by its cover" because lets just say the guy cutting my hair was ... well you can fill in the blank (and if you can't fill in the blank, don't worry, I'm about to do it for you). He was a New Yorker who likes to rock hard (he told me all about his rocker wife) and while he likes Portland, he really misses New York City. His hair was this kinda mullet-like thing (now that I think about it.....I can't believe I let him touch my hair). Now I would totally be telling you that it's not good to judge a book by its cover if you know what I mean, but the guy didn't do a good job, so I'm thinking there are times when you have to discern whether or not you should let the punk rocker touch your hair. Before I left I had him fix my hair twice because the two sides weren't even. At least now the front lengths of my hair are even..... The tricky thing is you can't really tell if the back is even until you are at home and use a flat iron on your hair. That was the moment I realized he had butchered it. So now I need to work on finding another hair person in the area. Blahhh.

In other news I got an e-mail today about there being more showings in the Portland area of the Call+Response movie I mentioned in a previous post. I'll update when I get more info on when and where it is going to be shown. If you don't know what I'm talking about.....scroll down and read about Call+Response.

Last but not least, I thought I'd share an interesting blog post from a site I hop over to periodically to check out. I thought this post from Mike Cope about a Church Shopping experiment Philip Yancey and his wife did was very interesting and worth pondering. If you choose to read it, please don't get stuck in the nitty gritty, just look at the over-arching idea. You can check the post out here.

(Update - you should be able to access the article by clicking on the large "here".... sorry it wasn't more user friendly to begin with.)


Hopefully I'll be able to check in a little later this week. Have a good one!




3 comments:

Brian Pannell said...

you forgot the link to the article

Brian Pannell said...

twas probably I who wasn't "user friendly" :)

Kayla said...

No worries Pannell.... how did you like the post?