Ways I'm like Mary Richards.....
1) I live in a small apartment with a roommate.
Okay, I know technically Mary Richards didn't have a roommate, but Rhoda was there so often that she was practically a roommate. Sometimes I think I might actually identify with Rhoda more, mostly because of her sarcasm.....but that's another post to look forward to =). As far as the small apartment goes, I've got that one. Although I do really like my apartment, just like Mary seemed to like hers.
2) I live in the "big-city".
If Mary was able to run home for lunch, and be able to see downtown Minneapolis from her apartment window, she must have lived close in like I do.
3) I'm a young "working woman".
I don't have a boss like Lou, but I do go to work every weekday.
4) I might just make it afterall.
So one of the things that cracks me up about the Mary Tyler Moore Show is that in the first season the opening song pretty much wonders if she'll make it on her own. By the second season it's more optimistic...."you're gonna make it afterall". I'm making it on my own....
Ways I'm not like Mary Richards.....
1) I don't have a dinner date every night of the week.
I don't know how or where Mary met so many good-looking, eligible men, but somehow it seems like she was always running out for a date. Or being proposed to. Or being wooed one way or another. Crazy.
2) I can't afford to get a new dress/outfit everytime I'm going to go out.
She was a champion shopper, always with a new outfit for her night out on the town. Impressive really. Maybe one day I'll be an Associate Producer with new outfits when I go out.....yeah, that's not going to happen.
3) I live in 2009, thus I have a cell phone....and caller ID
Mary's life would have been a lot easier if she'd had a cell phone. All those dates to keep track of - and interesting situations that Rhoda or Ted or Phyllis somehow got her roped into....I'm just thinking a cell phone would have come in handy. And don't get me started on caller ID. I hardly pick up the phone if I don't know why it is. Mary got in many an awkward situation thanks to not knowing who was on the other side of the phone line when she picked up.
4) I have a real bed.
No pull out, hide-a-bed for me. In fact, I have a full on bedroom. I can't imagine sleeping on a bed like Mary's... no thank you.
Me and Mary Richards, I wonder if we'd be friends. I guess we'll never know....
P.S. I decided it was time for a new look for the blog....let me know what you think! (good or bad)
No comments:
Post a Comment